Arvada Center Blog
The 2018 Colorado Theatre Guild’s Henry Awards have been announced, and the Arvada Center has received a record-breaking 29 nominations for awards that recognize our theatre season, directors, designers, actors and ensemble! Our adaption of Sense and Sensibility is the most honored play of the year, and other nominations include recognition of Outstanding Season, directoral nominations for both plays and musicals, and 10 nominations for design
Keep reading for the complete list, and congrats to everyone nominated! Read the list of all nominees from around the city here.
Established in 2006, the Henry Awards serve as the Colorado Theatre Guild’s annual fundraising event. The awards are named for longtime local theatre producer Henry Lowenstein. Nominations are determined through a judging process conducted by more than 45 statewide theatre reporters, educators and assigned judges.
Outstanding Season for a Theatre Company
Outstanding Production of a Play
- All My Sons, Directed by Lynne Collins
- Sense and Sensibility, Directed by Lynne Collins
Outstanding Production of a Musical
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Directed by Gavin Mayer, Musical Direction by Roberto Sinha
Outstanding Direction of a Play
- Lynne Collins, All My Sons
- Lynne Collins, Sense and Sensibility
Outstanding Direction of a Musical
- Rod A. Lansberry, A Chorus Line
- Gavin Mayer, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Outstanding Musical Direction
- Roberto Sinha, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Outstanding Actor in a Play
- Lance Rasmussen, Sense and Sensibility
Outstanding Actress in a Play
- Jessica Robblee, Sense and Sensibility
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Play
- Geoffrey Kent, All My Sons
- Zachary Andrews, Sense and Sensibility
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Play
- Jessica Austgen, Sense and Sensibility
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Musical
- Stephen Day, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Outstanding Ensemble Performance
- A Chorus Line
- Sense and Sensibility
- Kitty Skillman Hilsabeck, A Chorus Line
- Kitty Skillman Hilsabeck, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Outstanding Costume Design
- Clare Henkel, Sense and Sensibility
- Clare Henkel, Sunday in the Park with George
- Drew Mathisen, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Outstanding Lighting Design
- Shannon McKinney, Sunday in the Park with George
Outstanding Scenic Design
- Brian Mallgrave, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
- Brian Mallgrave, Sense and Sensibility
- Brian Mallgrave, Sunday in the Park with George
Outstanding Sound Design
- Jason Ducat, All My Sons
- Jason Ducat, Sense and Sensibility
- David Thomas, Sunday in the Park with George
The True West Awards, now in their 17th year, began as the Denver Post Ovation Awards in 2001. DCPA Senior Arts Journalist John Moore — along with additional voices from around the state — celebrate the entire local theatre community by recognizing 30 achievements from 2017 over 30 days, without categories or nominations. You can read through the complete list of winners here!
In honor of their 20th Anniversary, the Arvada Center’s community partner DreamWise Marketing is giving one lucky nonprofit in Denver a donation! They’re asking for the community’s help in choosing one – and they’ve selected the Arvada Center as part of their celebration.
Their 20th anniversary falls on the same year as our 40th, an exciting milestone to share! Twenty years ago, the Arvada Center was DreamWise Marketing’s very first client.
Based in Denver, DreamWise is a women-owned, full-service marketing firm. DreamWise started in the owner’s basement and has expanded over the years to its current 24,000 square foot warehouse. They’ve been on ColoradoBiz Magazine’s Top 100 Women-Owned Businesses in Colorado list for the past four years, and have been recognized by the Denver Business Journal and the Business Marketing Association for their philanthropy.
The organization has a proud history of giving back to the community and is using their 20th as an opportunity to support one Denver nonprofit in a big way. They’ve selected a list of six, and community votes will determine who the donation goes to.
We’d love it if you support the Arvada Center and vote for us! If we win, the donation will go toward supporting arts education programming. Donations will help us purchase paints, clay, colored pencils, paper, glue, beads, scissors, easels and many other art supplies used in our classes.
The organization with the most number of votes wins. Vote often! The last day to vote is September 23, and the winner will be announced October 4. Follow this link to cast your vote: http://www.dreamwisemarketing.com/go/vote/. Read more about the contest here!
For the fifth year in a row, Colorado Parent Magazine’s readers have voted the Arvada Center’s children’s theatre productions #1 in the state!
Colorado Parent Magazine readers vote on a list of family fun favorites every year – and the Arvada Center is honored they’ve recognized us as #1 location for Children’s Theatre Productions!
Last year’s children’s productions included Junie B. Jones, the Musical and Charlotte’s Web, both musical theatre adaptions of beloved children’s books. We cast fun and talented adult actors in our children’s productions, which gives kids an introduction to the world of theatre!
There are two children’s theatre productions this upcoming season. This fall, everyone’s favorite first grader returns to the stage in a production of Junie B. Jones, the Musical – adapted from the beloved series of books by Barbara Park. It will be directed by David & Julie Payne, with musical direction by Keith Ewer and choreography by Piper Arpan.
And this spring, A Year With Frog and Toad follows the woodland adventures of two amphibious friends, a worrywart toad, and a perky frog. The musical broke new ground by bringing professional children’s theatre to Broadway and was nominated for 3 Tony Awards – including Best Musical!
Junie B. Jones, the Musical opens Thursday, October 13, and A Year with Frog and Toad opens February 2. Tickets for both performances are on sale now!
Additionally, the Center is holding replacement auditions for several roles in Junie B. Jones, the Musical on August 22 – come be part of the fun!
Congratulations to the cast and crew of our children’s theatre productions!
Arvada Center productions, directors, actors and designers were recognized June 20 in the Colorado Theatre Guild’s list of nominees for the 11th annual Henry Awards. The Center was nominated for 15 awards, including Outstanding Season for a Theatre Company, and Outstanding Production of a Musical.
More than 45 theatre reporters, educators and assigned judges are involved in choosing the nominations, which are named for longtime Denver theatre producer Henry Lowenstein. Winners of 11th Annual Henry Awards be announced July 18 at the PACE Center in Parker.
11th Annual Henry Award Nominations:
- Outstanding Season for a Theatre Company
- Outstanding Production of a Musical: “Death Takes a Holiday,” Rod Lansberry, Director; David Nehls, Musical Direction
- Outstanding Direction of a Play: Gavin Mayer, “The Mountaintop”
- Outstanding Direction of a Musical: Rod A. Lansberry, “Death Takes a Holiday”
- Outstanding Direction of a Musical: Gavin Mayer, “Irving Berlin’s White Christmas”
- Outstanding Musical Direction: David Nehls, “Death Takes a Holiday”
- Outstanding Choreography: Kitty Skillman Hilsabeck, “Irving Berlin’s White Christmas”
- Outstanding Actress in a Play: Betty Hart, “The Mountaintop”
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Musical: Paul Page, “Irving Berlin’s White Christmas”
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Musical: Sharon Kay White, “Irving Berlin’s White Christmas”
- Outstanding Costume Design: Clare Henkel, “Death Takes a Holiday”
- Outstanding Lighting Design: Seth Alison, “The Mountaintop”
- Outstanding Lighting Design: Shannon McKinney, “Death Takes a Holiday”
- Outstanding Scenic Design: Brian Mallgrave, “Death Takes a Holiday”
- Outstanding Sound Design: Grant Evenson, “The Mountaintop”
Congratulations to the casts and crew of last seasons shows for their nominations!