JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR AUDITIONS - October 10 & 11
NEW MUSICAL CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - Ongoing
To receive alerts for upcoming productions, send an email including your name and phone number to email@example.com
Arvada Center General Audition Guidelines:
- Please do not contact the production staff to schedule an appointment
- A current headshot and résumé are required
- Audio and video submissions will not be considered
- Equity members must have a current equity ID card
- Individuals of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to audition for all roles
- To schedule or inquire about an audition, please call the Arvada Center Box Office at 720-898-7200
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR AUDITIONS
The Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities will hold auditions for the musical, Jesus Christ Superstar at the Arvada Center, 6901 Wadsworth Blvd., on October 10 and 11 (Chorus Dance Call is October 7), and in New York City, on December 15, 2016. Denver Callbacks are scheduled for October 13. The Arvada Center production will be directed by Rod A. Lansberry with musical direction by David Nehls, choreography by Kitty Skillman Hilsabeck. The Producing Artistic Director of Musicals is Rod A. Lansberry.
Adult Principal and Chorus:
Colorado Principal/Chorus auditions are on October 10 and 11, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., by appointment only. The Women’s Chorus dance call is 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., and Men’s Chorus dance call is 1:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. on October 7. All dance calls are by appointment only and dancers may be asked to sing. Call the Arvada Center Box Office at 720-898-7200 to schedule an appointment time. Please do not contact the production staff to schedule an appointment. Actors must be 18 years & older to audition.
General Audition Requirements:
Experienced performers with strong acting and singing abilities are needed. Good dancing abilities are required. See the character breakdown (below) for specifics on available roles. Actors should prepare 16-32 bars from a song appropriate to the style of show. Please bring sheet music; an accompanist will be provided. Recorded music or a cappella audition will eliminate casting consideration. A current headshot and résumé are required. Audio and video submissions will not be considered. Equity members must have a current equity ID card. This is an Equity LORT B production, non-equity actors will be considered. Individuals of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds are needed and encouraged to audition for all roles.
New York Auditions:
Wojcik/Seay Casting will coordinate the New York City auditions, to be held on December 15, 2016. To be considered for a New York audition, mail a hard copy of your headshot and résumé and indicate the role you are interested in (if known) to the following address:
Attn. Jesus Christ Superstar, Arvada CO production
247 West 38th Street 10th Floor
New York, NY 10018
NO CALLS PLEASE – qualified actors will be contacted to schedule an audition
Rehearsal and Performance Dates:
Rehearsals for Jesus Christ Superstar begin on Tuesday, February 28. The production opens Friday, March 24 and runs through April 16, 2017. Performances are Tuesday through Saturday evenings with matinees on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays for a total of eight shows per week.
ARVADA CENTER – Jesus Christ Superstar
Principal roles: All must have sustainable strong pop / rock voices.
Jesus Christ: Tenor (A2-G5) Major pop /rock style singer . 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Judas Iscariot: Tenor (D3-D5) One of the twelve apostles 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Mary Magdalene: Alto (F3-E♭5) A female follower of Jesus 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Pontius Pilate :Baritone (A2-B4) Governor of Judea. 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Caiaphas: Bass (C2-F4) High priest of Jerusalem. 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Annas: Tenor (G2-D5) Fellow priest at the side of Caiaphas. 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Peter: Baritone (G2-G4) One of 12 apostles. 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Simon Zealote: Tenor (G3-B4) ,One of 12 apostles. 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
King Herod : Baritone The King of Galilee. 20’s - 40’s. Any ethnicity
Ensemble to play Disciples, Priests and Crowds – 20’s plus; must be singers who can easily sustain pop/rock stylings; should move very well.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: NEW MUSICALS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION
The Arvada Center invites theatre artists to submit proposals for a musical, performance piece, devised work, or adaptation to be considered for inclusion in upcoming musical theatre seasons. Submissions should be complete and ready for readings, workshops or productions, and available for performance sometime after the 2016/2017 season. Members of the Arvada Center will choose several projects for further discussion and workshopping, with the goal of including at least one in a future season. Those selected may receive a Standard Production contract for a fully staged production, and contracts will be at the discretion of the Producing Artistic Director (Musicals) and Chief Operating Officer.
Guidelines for submission:
- Submitters must have full underlying rights clearance of any pre-existing material used in the script
- The musical cannot already be licensed through another licensing house, or have been produced on Broadway (shows that have had readings, workshops and/or productions including regional or Off Broadway are still eligible)
- The Arvada Center is committed to working with local actors, directors, and designers, so that should be considered in project proposals.
- The Arvada Center hopes to use this process to broaden its thinking about what theatre can be and whose voices it should include, so proposals that are different than previous Main Stage theatre productions are encouraged.
Anyone interested in submitting a proposal should send a description of their work to Producing Artistic Director of Musicals, Rod Lansberry at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
- Title page
- Brief synopsis, including information on writers, agents, production/development history
- Character breakdown
- CD with track listings -- an accurate representation of the music and style of the show
- Numbered pages
- Demo track numbers must be included in the script where each track is to be played when reading
- The complete script (all scenes, songs, and lyrics on the page)
- Proof of rights:
- If the musical contains any copyrighted material, please submit a signed letter from the authors and underlying rights representative stating that underlying rights have been secured
- If the musical is wholly original, please submit a signed letter from the creators that the musical is original
- If there is material that is now in the public domain, please submit a signed letter stating when the work entered the public domain
We expect writers to be hands-on throughout the process, from casting through Opening. Writers are expected to be at rehearsals as requested (starting approx. 24 days prior to Opening) and at all related events regarding readings,workshops and rehearsals. Must be comfortable working closely with the Director and Producer. Those selected may receive a Standard Production contract for a fully staged production of the piece. The contract will be at the discretion of the Artistic Producing Director (Musicals) and Chief Operating Officer.