By Jeffrey Hatcher
Black Box Theatre
Please note: This production contains some mature language.
Inspired by hilarious memories of a 1967 childhood etiquette class, playwright Jeffrey Hatcher conjures up the world of a ten-year-old studying manners. Young Jeffrey is a misfit little boy who wants nothing more than to be good at something, and he finds his unlikely niche at etiquette school. Mrs. Mannerly is a demanding teacher with a dedication to Emily Post, and no student in her thirty-six years of etiquette classes has achieved a perfect score. When he discovers her mysterious past, Young Jeffrey leverages what he knows so he can be the first to attain the highest score. The plot mimics stories by humorists like David Sedaris and is a delicious, comic tale about coming-of-age in a simpler time.
“ Mrs. Mannerly mixes nostalgia with a spritz of astringent… a carefully crafted coming-of-age story” – Durango Herald
By Katori Hall
Directed by Gavin Mayer
Black Box Theatre
Please note: This production contains some mature language and is performed without an intermission.
“THIS ISN’T THE ‘I HAVE A DREAM’ KING... THIS IS KING, THE MAN; NOT THE MYTH.” – Katori Hall, playwright
Great theatre can emerge from a simple yet evocative question: "What if?" Katori Hall, a daring, young African American playwright, imagines - What might have Martin Luther King Jr. done the night before he died? Whom might he have talked to? What might he have said? Her Olivier Award-winning play imagines a scenario portraying Martin Luther King more as a man, than a myth. Katori Hall felt “It is important to see the humanity in this hero so we can see the hero in ourselves.” As a simple hotel room becomes a battleground where man and myth fight for their future, Hall’s interpretation crescendos into an unexpected and lyrical flight of theatrical fancy that will leave audiences breathless from the view.
Original Broadway production was produced by Jean Doumanian, Sonia Friedman and Ambassador Theatre Group
“Stunning… Sensitive and moving.”
“Deeply personal, powerful, and engaging.”
“…a wonderful trip, as audacious as it is inventive.”
Death Takes A Holiday
Music and Lyrics by Maury Yeston
Main Stage Theatre
Love defies death in this exquisitely written musical. It's just after World War I, a time of renewal after years of sadness and human suffering. After sparing a young woman who is in a fatal car crash, Death returns to walk among the living, hoping to understand why he chose to save her. As he experiences the simple charms of life, he also begins to comprehend the strength of human love. From the creative team of Titanic and Nine , this stunning musical’s soaring melodies and lush score weave an enchanting tale of love and the preciousness of life.
Produced by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc.
“One lush, soaring number after another... ” - New York Times
- Colorado Chamber Orchestra The Colorado Chamber Orchestra returns for its second season offering a three-concert series on Sunday afternoons. CCO also introduces us to a new Composer-in-Residence, Dr. Anne M. Guzzo. This season's programming includes some classical favorites as well as new compositions.
- – Charlotte's Web - Fall 2015 Charlotte's Web, a beloved children's classic, spins the tale of a clever spider and her pig friend Wilbur.
- Irving Berlin's White Christmas Veterans Bob Wallace and Phil Davis have a successful song-and-dance act after World War II. With romance in mind, they follow two sisters to a Vermont lodge where they are performing in a Christmas show. This sentimental musical is filled with Christmas cheer Buy Now Learn More
- Mrs. Mannerly Inspired by hilarious memories of a 1967 childhood etiquette class, playwright Jeffrey Hatcher conjures up the world of unruly ten-year-olds studying manners. Jeffrey, the star pupil, is in reality a young rascal who wants nothing more than to be good at something, Buy Now Learn More
- Colorado Chamber Orchestra - Winter Carnival Revisiting Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals" CCO's Winter Concert will engage the audience in discussion and demonstrations of how Saint-Saens created his short musical compositions. The highlight of this concert will be Dr. Guzzo’s new composition based on concepts and instrumentation of Carnival of the Animals Buy Now Learn More
- – Fuddy Meers A raucous comedy, amnesiac Clair wakes up every trying to reassemble her life. Join along in the ride as she pieces together her life, day by day. Buy Now Learn More